A view of life through the eyes of a person who is slowly losing their mind.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Sleigh riding to define relationships??

Possibly if I can put it into the right words. To start, Saturday's snow storm found me and Dave among others, at Kirby Park with a bunch of sleighs.

So it goes. We get on the sleigh together, me in front, him behind with his legs locked securely around me. We give ourselves a little push with our hands off the snow covered ground. About a third of the way down, the sled decided to leave us and did so with us rolling through the snow down the hill. We get up, wipe the snow off our faces, suck the mucus back up out of visibility and heartily laugh. Go down for the sled and trudge back us the slippery Dyke. After a few solo rides which went smoothly we try again to go down together. This time we switch, I take the caboose and he sits in front of me with my legs wrapped around him. We get a push, and we fly down the slope into the second jump and again land on our asses as the sled finishes without us.....still laughing because we can't get it right,

So we take a break for a walk. Headed down the the river to watch the icy water in all it's wintry splendor. A nice walk with laughter and runny noses and even a snow angel made by Dave himself. On the walk back we tread lightly on the ice below us fearing what may lie beneath it. I must admit, his grip on my arm to keep him from harms way was much tighter then mine on his as he pulled me to the top of the Dyke.

Once back on our slope we decide to ride a sled down together on our way back to the Jeep. No surprises folks, we fell off again.

So I sit here, thinking and smiling. Here is what I find reflection on the day:

This relationship is so new to both of us, new surroundings, new feelings and new situations. We don't know what is to come, tonight, tomorrow, or three more months from now. We couldn't make it down the hill together in the same sled, yet alone we did just fine. But, each time one started to slip walking back up, the others hand was outstretched to help. We didn't get discouraged when we didn't make it after trying to change seating position. We simply tried again. The best realization came to me hours after our sleigh riding adventure had ended, and here it is: The whole time we were tumbling down the hill we never let go of each other, we tumbled together, legs still locked around the one in front, eating the snow the entire way down.

Would that mean anything to the rest of the world? My guess is no. It means a lot to me and I hope he can be warmed by that thought as well. Thanks Dave.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?